Better keep host profile and guest profile separated?

I’ve been a guest for several years and I have about 5 positive reviews. Now I’d like to start hosting professionally and I wonder if it would be better to create a separate account solely to operate as a host. Thoughts?

I use the same account for both and find it very easy to be both a host and a guest.

Surely your guests seeing you have been a good guest good only be an advantage to your being a host.

In any case BNB only allows you one account.

1 Like

If you can do it, I would create a separate account. Some hosts won’t accept other hosts as guests - too many issues. One forum member said she tried to book in 10 different countries in Europe and all of her requests were turned down. Then she created a new account and her very first request was accepted. Coincidence? Maybe…maybe not.

Why would there be issues with hosts as guests? We are hosting some hosts in February and now I’m getting worried.

Some hosts on here have had repeated negative experiences with other hosts, so now they just decline them altogether. High maintenance, give low reviews because they are comparing what they offer at a higher price point, etc.

Don’t be worried though. I am sure there are plenty of hosts who are wonderful guests. I am sure I would be the perfect guest :wink:

But if it was possible I would want my account separate, I wouldn’t want other hosts to decline me because of their negative experiences with the high maintenance ones.

1 Like

I doubt I will ever use Airbnb as a guest. Too many unknowns and it is too expensive. Damn cleaning fees and deposits, LOL!

2 Likes

But you don’t pay the deposit @konacoconutz. It’s not charged to your card it’s just an amount that theoretically your card can be charged up to in the event of a claim. Been using Airbnb as a guest since 2012 never had a claim against me yet.

1 Like

Oh I know!!! Just taking the piss. :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t be. I’ve hosted several hosts and they’ve been lovely.

1 Like

I have hosted two hosts. One was a miserable man who arrived glum and nothing I could do was going to change that. His listing has mediocre reviews and clearly he was out to be critical. Only 4’s and 3’s I have ever received. The other host was a hoot! They arrived late. They closed down the local bar. They laughed and had the best time. Neither wanted to talk shop. They had the stay that they deserved.

I’ve booked two Airnb rooms in Lisbon for next month, no problem getting approved. Hosts have been very kind. Due to health issues, I need to lie down for a few hours after I arrive. I asked for check in at 11 am and offered to pay extra, both hosts agreed and refused to charge me.
My one issue is that due to living and working as a nurse in a very small town, I use my middle name as my host name, my first name is uncommon and I don’t want some of my patients, some who know no boundaries, knowing more about me. I would prefer to use my first name travelling but have been reluctant to explain this to hosts.

I don’t understand when hosts say they never have and/or never would be an Airbnb guest. It’s like saying you’d never join a club who would have you as a member. If I believe in what I do as a host, why wouldn’t I want to be someone else’s guest? I have been a guest in several Airbnb locations. They’re all different, and the experiences have been good ones.

1 Like

Well we all have our own traveling style. I simply prefer the reliability of a hotel and can always always find one cheaper than an Air, no matter what city I visit.

I don’t need to deal with deposits, cleaning fees, guest instructions, house rules or reviews. I would like a break from all that when I travel!

1 Like

It is also unlikely that I will be staying in a VR (Air or other) again, although I have stayed in VR’s probably 8 or 10 times, including three last summer.

Reasons:

• They have service fees. So far I have escaped service fees because I always sleuth out the owner and deal with them directly.
  • The property is never as nice as the photos.
  • The non-refundable deposit ($500-$1,000) is always worrisome to me as is the wait for the return of the security deposit (again $500-$1,000).
  • The cleaning fees all seem to be over $200 and one of the VR’s last summer in a resort charged $325. (The owner gave us a ‘break’ from the usual $350.)

On a coastal summer trip several years ago, we stayed in 11 hotels and extended stay places. My hands-down favorites were places like the Staybridge Suites, the newer Residence Inns, Hampton Inns, and larger suites in the Holiday Inn Express. Loved the fully-furnished one-bedroom suites (apartments), two meals a day, free laundry, complimentary business center, patios, libraries, cocktail receptions, kitchens, daily room freshening …everything! Can’t beat it.

So that’s the plan.

What does VR mean? All I can come up with is Virtual Reality, but that doesn’t make sense in this context.

1 Like

Vacation Rental (I know you’re saying “D’oh!” now):stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As a solo traveler, it’s very expensive staying in hotels in North America and the U.K. I have stayed in hostels and convents, uni residences etc. Airnb seems like a good choice for me. I have stayed in one so far. There were some minor issues, but I think that was a flaky new host. One I’ve booked in Lisbon is a super host and has excellent reviews. I like having a private room vs the hostel bunk bed scene.

2 Likes

Same @Louise. For solo travellers it’s Airbnb or a hostel.