Best way to handle requests from people who don't read

Not insulted at all, just exhausted after a long day of working on my farm and came here tonight for polite advice.

1 Like

Legends reasons for denying are not snooty at all.
As a rule of thumb : you’re almost always asking for trouble once you start entertaining this kind of individual who is essentially implying your services are overvalued.

8 Likes

And I came on here all grumpy and antsy after a long day dealing with intransient local officials. Sorry mate! I took one look at your goats and yeah, any guest that has an issue needs telling. Your place is so great.

1 Like

Just not so, in my experience. I have lived and learned. Discount seekers make terrible guests. Might be different in Europe, but in the U.S. this is unfortunate but true.

5 Likes

Yes, I’m sure you’re right. I don’t get many discount seeker sso I’m not in a position to judge on that. My hackles are more raised by those asking loads of questions that are either plain stupid or read more like instructions than queries, eg,. is your bedlinen 100% cotton because I have I allergies and cannot stay otherwise (Yes my linen is good but you won’t like anything else here so BYE!); does your cat live in the house because I have allergies (YES, idiot, he is our pet and part of the family. You, on the other hand, are NOT).

Yes… Legends… at the end of the day, this is about what the cost of our sanity is. Your house, your rules. Period. You have gone against your gut in the past and paid the terrible price. Never again.

On this platform, little clues can go a long way toward showing you who the guest is… discount seeking and then being pushy after being told NO is positively screaming “horrible guest!!!”

You did the right thing, and if you missed out on some cash, just remember your peace of mind is more important!!!

3 Likes

I’m one of those who reject inquiries for a discount because they are “on a budget”. So their budget is supposed to mean that I should reduce my rate to accommodate that?!! Hell-to-the-No.

If truth be told, I have relented on a few occasions and accepted the guest (not with a discount but when they have come back and said they will pay the advertised rate), and without exception, it was not a good experience or outcome. Stick to your guns (and gut). It’s no fun to smile on the outside and seethe on the inside.

What it is, is that the guest has taken some of the joy away from our hosting our property that we are proud of. They have devalued it right off the bat by mentioning the “d” word (discount!). So I’m with you and some of the other hosts on the forum…ix-nay to those who dare to request a discount.

6 Likes

If a discount is asked for, no matter what the reason, my answer is always…

Sorry, my place is priced fairly for the area and the season. I don’t offer discounts.

That pretty much shuts them up.

7 Likes

Mine is more like Sandy’s… and it should be noted that they will be raising our property taxes on July 1. My mortgage is facing a reset and my homeowners policy is about to notify me of their yearly raise. Bottom line is, nothing about my house expenses seems to go down. Why should I finance any portion of a stranger’s vacation because they want to stay longer or stay in a place beyond their means? The hostel down the road is $89. My low rate is $99. That’s low enough, so if you can’t afford it book the hostel or the local campsite.

7 Likes

I know someone who trains restaurant staff on service. She told me that when people pay more than they believe is reasonable for something they will not enjoy it no matter how good it is. For example, someone who believes that $40.00 is the most that a restaurant meal should cost will never be satisfied with a meal that costs $100.00 no matter how high the quality and luxurious the ingredients. I decline bargain seekers and tell them that if the believe my price to be too high they won’t be satisfied. If they believe my price to be fair and asked for a bargain anyway it’s their loss.

4 Likes

Bargain seeking is a good reason to decline bookings.

4 Likes

Not comparing rentals. No need to offer or accept a discount, no need to be offended by someone who asks for one. It doesn’t matter what is offered or how much money I have compared to you. My dollar is worth the same as yours.

I feel like I’m not explaining this well but it’s clear in my mind.

2 Likes

That’s okay. I’m not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box. I’m undoubtedly missing your point but don’t mind me.

You said not to take it personally if someone asks for a discount and that it’s just them caring about themselves. Granted, but why then aren’t I allowed to take it personally when they ask for a discount for I am also just caring about myself.

2 Likes

Had someone try to book my 5 bedroom Victorian house as a single person. When I queried the number of guests as for a single person it is expensive. They intended to have 10 people or 3 family groups stay for a week. Got mightily upset when I sent thru an alteration to the booking to the correct amount, told me they didn’t think I would mind because they were trying to stick to a budget. Cancelled the booking when they didn’t agree to the change.

9 Likes

It’s mind-boggling. They told you they didn’t think you would mind because they were “trying to stick to a budget.” Totally off the wall.

There are those who compare us to, or at least think that we are like hotels. What hotel would promote or cater to such a screwball justification that a guest can add a bunch of people to also stay in the accommodation because it was a matter of budget. Ludicrous.

Glad you cancelled them out. (They should have also received a free slap alongside the head.)

4 Likes

Your budget woes should not equal my financial sacrifice.

That said, I hardly get the bargain hunters anymore. Thank goodness.

3 Likes

Their justification was that the listed price was $200 per night…they felt that was more than enough to pay for the whole house - the $200 is for the first 2, after that it is per head per night…told me i was greedy!

2 Likes

What I am trying to say is that they have a budget but so do you. Your dollar is just as important as theirs, so no, don’t discount. When someone says “Well this is my budget” we could easily say “And this is mine.” What’s in their budget is no concern of ours. It makes one want to reply, “there is a slider under options, please use it too choose a place in your budget. Why are you contacting me?”

I am apparently unable to adequately communicate the part about not being offended/not taking it personally and that’s okay too.

5 Likes

Ugh I do dislike discount seekers because it’s entirely disrespectful. I had someone contact me asking for a discount but said she was looking for a long term booking. When I asked what her budget was it was only a few £s off my listed price and I can see how she may have thought her request totally reasonable.

For me, a few £s off is actually a decent discount… I.e £3 is actually a 10% discount and £5 is 18% off. At £5 off per night I am pretty much paying their service fee for them! No… for me my price is my price. If your budget won’t allow it then please look for a listing in your budget.

1 Like

I’d reject them.
I had some guests in the past that requested a discount, and all of them have been “bad” guests.
(with bad I mean dirty, messy, loads of extra work.)

Nowadays, people asking for a discount are an instant reject. Because they end up causing more than they pay.

2 Likes