Best sheets and towels to use?

I certainly agree that we all have our preferences. Definitely a perception issue. Many (I would argue most) travellers perceive dark towels or dark or mushy sheets as worn, used, dirty or old.

Absolutely fine at home, if you’re hosting your personal guests. Or as with with Siix & Barley etc… If your property is set up to accommodate travellers on a tight budget. And your listing is VERY clear with its images, then by all means dark red sheets are likely a good choice to keep input costs down. Not my thing but then again I wouldn’t book your place…simple as that. win win :slight_smile:

My issue is with the hosts that do put their properties out there as higher end. They (yes in my opinion) should step up their game.

It all comes down to price and images at the end of the day.

But tell me, who here is ok with a face cloth or pillowcase that has permanent blood, make up, or the latest dilemma, spray on tan residu? They’re just stains, the fabric is still perfectly clean after a wash.

No we aren’t hotels or motels, but we are charging total strangers for overnight accommodations. And that (in my opinion) comes with hefty obligations on our part.

1 Like

I agree with you about white linens in most cases and I’ve switched to white after reading the arguments here over a period of months. I also feel that hotels use white and they have far more experience than I do washing linens, so why re-invent the wheel. And I want to remove stains, not hide them. Like others I’ve had more linens ruined by skin products that bleached my colored linens than vice versa.

However, there are exceptions. Some of it has to do with what kind of rental it is. I recently stayed in a vintage trailer where the bed linens were not white and they were perfect. There was also no exterior camera which I always advise. But the owners live onsite and there is no self check in. Cameras would spoil the retro vibe. I also advise people have things that are shiny and new looking when possible but not at this trailer.

Putting stained sheets or towels out for guests has nothing to do with using colored linens. Stains are visible on colored stuff just as they are on white- they aren’t “hidden” just because they aren’t white. Why would you assume that hosts who use colored linens and towels leave stained things out for guests? I don’t use colored stuff so that stains are hidden, I use it because I like it and it compliments my decor. If something has an irremovable stain, I throw it in the rag bag or use it myself.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you are talking about. I don’t have dark red sheets.

I don’t know where this came from either. Nobody said they would use blood stained linens for their guests. Don’t be ridiculous.

2 Likes

When I say dark I mean dark, as in black, navy blue, dark red/burgundy. And yes I, would certainly find that suspect. We may not be on the same page here. I was not referring to any color of linen, many colored linen are of course very nice. But then you run into a new problem. You CAN see stains on lighter colors and prints of sheets and towels. So what do you do when they inevitably get stained? If it’s a bad stain you can’t use anything harsh like bleach if need be. Then worse, what happens when you have to throw out a pillowcase or two. Good luck trying to replace them without having to buy an entire new set. And absolutely it depends on what your place is all about.

That’s why I don’t use sets. My bedding is eclectic- I mix and match. I might have a burgundy fitted sheet, a grey top sheet, and patterned pillowcases that incorporate both colors. Goes well with my decor and guests comment favorably.

I can assure you that dark colors don’t “hide” stains. They are quite visible. And I’ve never ended up having to throw linens or towels away because they are stained- I only host solo guests and they have been quite respectful. If there is a small stain, I have been able to remove it with laundry products. My linens and towels have only had to be replaced when they are worn.

Your place sounds fun! I like this mix-and-match idea and will try to incorporate it myself. Right now, I just use fresh sets in bold colors (or a more boring charcoal, if those seem like the best fit for the group).
It can be fun to fit the colors with the incoming group, I think.

1 Like

Another idea is to use different shades of the same color. For instance, you could have bedding and towels in different shades of green, or green patterns, if mixing different colors doesn’t fit one’s decor. That way it all looks purposeful, and if something is damaged or goes missing, you don’t have to worry about finding an exact match, or having to purchase an entire new set. I did that with my towels, after a guest took one on a booze cruise and came back with another green towel that wasn’t mine and was too threadbare for me to even consider giving to guests. So now that “set” consists of a solid sage green bath towel, a patterned sage green bath towel, and a hand towel and a washcloth in 2 more shades of soft green.

1 Like