Best IKEA sofa-bed

We have single rooms here in the U.K. My heart would always sink if I was travelling for business and I’d find I’d been booked into a room with a single bed. And no I don’t mean a twin room I mean a room with a single bed. They still exist sadly…

Why would your heart sink? If there’s two of you traveling in a twin (two single beds) or a double (1 double bed), you wouldn’t get more space in bed than in 1 single bed.
Well I don’t think that it’s sad they still exist… What about those pod hotels in Japan and elsewhere. Aren’t does basically cubicles with a single bed.

Because there’s not two of me, especially not when I’m on business travel. I live alone and have a double at home - a single bed in a hotel is a definite downgrade. Single rooms are also small, poky and claustrophobic. So yes my heart sinks, I’m going to be spending 4 days in a shoebox.

Hello - it would mainly be a sofa. Thanks!

I’ve just learnt something new! I always thought twin meant two separate single beds in one room

1 Like

Same. surely a trade descriptions failure calling a single bed a twin.

4 Likes

@zentravel, if it would mostly be used as a sofa, one I like is Brooke from Maisons du Monde : http://maisonsdumonde.com/FR/fr/produits/fiche/canape-convertible-3-places-en-tissu-gris-anthracite-brooke-158826.htm

I like I because it is comfortable enough as a sofa or a bed, it’s easy to switch from the sofa to the bed mode :), it’s affordable and does not look as boxy as most sofa-beds. They have a cure pink colourway if it suits your decor :slight_smile:

I also like the Vallentuna range from IKEA other posters mentioned.

3 Likes

This is an interesting set of explanations

It seems to me all those explanations miss the point… (it’s pretty clear the respondents don’t know why either). there was a poster earlier who explained twin beds were initially always sold in packs of two. Somewhere along the way two twins and a single became the same thing.

Since they’re not the same thing it is rather confusing… I guess the way you will know if it’s a twin rather than a single is by looking at pictures and asking.

Yea the whole thing is confusing :joy:

1 Like

I have the Friheten sofa - I rent out my bedroom, so I sleep on the Friheten. Better than my bed, haha! I can highly recommend it, and it’'s SUPER easy to assemble which is a big point for me (<1 minute) and it has storage space.

Thank you all for your replies - very useful. Trip to Ikea and MdM planned for this week!

(incidentally, the hotel I use in Germany almost always gives me a room with just one single bed. Reminds me of my university days…)

I have an Ikea Hemnes daybed. When closed, it is the size of a twin (single) mattress. You stack 2 thin mattresses on top of each other (or put the second one between the back of the frame and the wall). You pull out the entire front panel which slides under the daybed frame, making the bed a king. We arrange the mattresses side by side like a traditional king (turning the mattresses 90 degrees from how it was laid upon the daybed. The mattresses are thin, but you can put toppers, etc (or buy better mattresses). One fault that’s been noted on the ikea message boards is that some of the screws that support the mattress frame need to be replaced with bolts eventually. There are 3 HUGE drawers where we keep the bedding. You need some decent throw pillows to use this as a couch, and your feet won’t touch the floor, but it’s a handy piece of furniture. We don’t regret buying 2 of them.

I think it depends on the space you have, for small space, very few products are suitable. For larger space, you can choose from a wider range, but still limited number of products are available. And if occasional use means 1 or 2 nights, I think most of them are fine. You need to go there and lie on different mattresses, usually the more expensive ones are slightly more comfortable.

What do you guys do with your old Friheten? we have one each in the 3 properties we run, they starting to look quite disgusting after a year.

1 Like