Best bed cover?

There has been a good bit of discussion about this on the forum and I can tell you that there are a significant number of us here who think the duvet needs to be washed after each guest. I didn’t start out this with this thought. I am an American raised in a house with a bottom fitted sheet, a top sheet, a blanket and then a decorative top layer. That top was usually a bedspread or quilt. Then comforters became fashionable, now duvet covers with padded inserts. (There are threads that discuss all of this ad nauseum if you want to search to find them.) After much discussion I was convinced that top decorative layer needs to be washed. Maybe at home you fold back that layer and sleep under the top sheet. But many of your guests will put their dirty suitcase on it, lay on it with their shoes still on, have sex on it, sleep with it tangled between their legs and under their sweaty armpits. So I recommend duvet covers or a light quilt that can be washed. If you insist on not washing it then you should at least lint roller it well each time and get a black light to examine it for stains.

3 Likes

Very good point! I need something that is neutral and will appeal to all, I’ll look for other throw pillows, with colour, but not too bold.

for my two cents, here in america people expect a top and bottom sheet, no matter what kind of outer cover you use. i notice all over europe people sleep under a duvet with no top sheet.

i used to use strictly white sheets, only cotton, but like the towels, people get them all filthy and stained, so now i’m tie dyeing everything, and it makes the whole place look more artsy and less hotel like.

you also want to make up a grownup style bed, and not put cute pillows all over it. subtle patterns work better than obvious ones, and if possible offer a choice of pillows - both down/feather and synthetic. some people hate sleeping on plastic…

1 Like

No, triple sheeting is triple for a reason. You can’t have an uncovered duvet on the top. It will get ruined and it will look grotty. My last guests got sick and ended up eating takeaway in bed. They spilled pizza sauce, coffee and coke. The duvet was protected - and the cover has now been soaked and bleached and is back to looking perfect - because it’s white.

The top triple sheet shouldn’t just be a regular bed sheet, but usually a dress sheet. They are larger and allow for a proper turn down on top of the duvet. Google triple sheeting top dress sheet.

I know you’re probably trying to save money at this stage as you don’t know what you’ll make. It’s a risk but those first few reviews are crucial. Spend the money now, do it properly and you’ll reap the rewards.

2 Likes

Just to confuse the issue. The first thing I do when I arrive at a hotel or Airbnb is get rid of the throw cushions to somewhere well out of the way. I sure as hell know they haven’t been washed and I don’t want them where I’m sleeping. I have 4 pillows on the bed, 2 feather, 2 foam and put them in white ironed pillow cases with trim and prop them up slightly at an angle. Everyone walks into the room and goes wow - the bed looks so comfortable and inviting. White implies clean. It’s why you’ll never stay in a hotel with coloured or patterned sheets.

2 Likes

Yes, Definitely…

Polyester gives me the creeps. I only use cotton sheets, blankets, pillow cases. It’s so much more comfortable.

I think you need to steer clear of using such terribly feminine designs. You’re alienating 50% of the population.

Hotels don’t generally decorate in this way, and there’s a reason. Go for something far less fussy and a lot more modern-looking - modern is mentally associated with clean.

If you are after honeymooners, you need RED in your design. Not necessarily an all-red cover, but red accents.

1 Like