At what point do I cancel her reservation?

Guest is supposed to arrive Friday morning.

Also I’m just learning about screen shots so apologies if i did it wrong.

(I’m totally cool with cancelling and blocking the weekend - but this is my new listing and my first time even thinking about cancelling, so I’m not sure what to do or say.)

Advice?

And maybe I’m overreacting? This is very possible. She has no reviews, though, so I can’t look to other hosts for guidance. She’s been a member since July 2016…

(The mattress is a twin, and yeah they could physically squeeze in but I’ve also got booked guests for the guest room, and the house and it’s plumbing is happy with 6-8 people but not 9)

This would be a “call AirBNB” time and say that you are not comfortable with this guest. She doesn’t listen. She is planning to bring extra person.

3 Likes

Thank you. I needed a push.

Wow she doesn’t take no for an answer! With stubbornly persistent guests, I find it’s best to cancel if they haven’t checked-in already. It saves you from further headaches. Even if this guest were to check-in, I feel she’s the type who would continue demanding things during her stay. I would say cancel by calling Airbnb customer service. Since the reservation is coming up soon, they will be able to expedite the cancellation AND will leave your dates unblocked so that hopefully a nicer deserving guest can book it and appreciate all that you offer. Good luck!

2 Likes

Someone like this will suggest that her friend could 1. Sleep under the dining table; 2. put an air mattress in with the baby; 3. Will pout the entire visit if their friend is not allowed to join them.

4 Likes

Ok, have called airbnb, they’re going to “reach out to the guest”

I affirmed that I’m happy to give a full refund and that I’m afraid if she comes anyway she’ll be unhappy. “I’m just not comfortable with her staying here.”

Honestly, I’d be ok with blocking the dates. I’m feeling shaky from boundary enforcement. Or maybe too much coffee. Either is possible.

2 Likes

Yes! Not to forget will probably 4. Leave the room in a mess 5. definitely drop a bad review

1 Like

They couldn’t reach her, but since she was obviously trying to squeeze in a second person and I was ok with refunding her, they canceled her “with no penalty to me”

Moral of the story: keep all communication with guests in the Airbnb messing queue so the customer service rep can see it. Which you all already know, of course. :wink:

(Fingers crossed she finds somewhere else to stay and this is the end of it. Extended drama makes me tense.)

8 Likes

You handled it the right way. As you said, always document all this on AirBnB and then contact them to let them know you are having a problem dealing with a guest and would they please intervene. Under no circumstances should you ever cancel on your end for something that is not your fault, because then AirBnB and will make it all about you and might even penalize you.

I’ve learned the hard way. I’ve had guests whine and scream that they can’t figure out how to cancel and would I please handle it for them, and then when i did I was scolded by AirBnB by not handling it the right way. When guests become problematic like this, just have Air deal with them.

3 Likes

Well that’s one of the reasons we pay them a percentage , so get them to do some work for it :blush:

4 Likes

Heck yeah! Why should they get to just sit back and watch the cash roll in? Make them work indeed!

2 Likes

Aww! Few more of these situations and you’ll learn to grow a thicker skin. Until then, keep having that coffee *adding Baileys may help :wink: Glad to hear it all worked out!

2 Likes

My friends get me Bailey’s for my birthday. I have excellent friends.

1 Like

Glad it worked out for you Alia. Air will sort her out with somewhere else to stay. Or not… But that’s not your problem any more.
I have to say that Baileys is only for Christmas, afaic. Shocked to the core that anyone thinks differently :wink:

2 Likes

Bailey’s is an anytime drink. Think I’ll ask dear husband for a wee dram right now.

3 Likes

Remember ABB give you 24 hours to respond, no need to rush.

@Alia_Gee were you able to book the room after the cancellation?

Here’s a recipe so you don’t have to worry about your birthday supply running out.

4 Likes