As a host how should you deal with guests and potential guests making you feel uncomfortable or unsafe?

How am I prejudiced about you?

If you haven’t heard about how many African Americans have been the victims of profiling you don’t read much.

You are prejudiced about me not reading much.
And you are prejudiced about my views on profiling.

Prejudice is pre-judging, not post-judging.

1 Like

So based on a few written lines you profile me and say I don’t read much?
=> Prejudice !

Yes, you have definitely joined the circle of non-saints or humans as we tend to call them. Welcome !

Enough of this. It’s not appropriate here!

6 Likes

Please don’t shut the discussion down, please! It’s healthy to share differing points of view. I apologise for any of my comments that were inflammatory. The issue of male victims of domestic abuse is close to my heart and I find it difficult to be dispassionate. I think many things got conflated in this thread: domestic abuse, general crime statistics, rape, profiling, the nature of prejudice. That’s a lot of stuff to discuss under one banner! But surely it’s better to share our thoughts than to close things down?

3 Likes

No, I don’t think we were. As Ellen pointed out, men are statistically far more likely (by a large margin) to be the victims of crime so you’d think that they are the hosts that should be the most wary. But then you look at rape statistics and the picture changes significantly, doesn’t it? I’m a big fan of quality sourced stats, unlike some people (trumpety trump), but they are always open to interpretation / manipulation.

Fair enough. But I believe that social conditioning plays an equal, if not bigger, role. Can it be proved? No! That is an eternal debate. All I can say is some hippie stuff about seeing the world as you want it to be. That’s the best we can do. Hiding prejudice behind some vague evolutionary theory doesn’t work for me, I’m afraid.

it’s not the discussion, necessarily, it’s the pointless argumentativeness of certain people here who just want to inflame and argue for the fun of it.

.[quote=“Magwitch, post:51, topic:12299”]
Please don’t shut the discussion down, please!
[/quote]

2 Likes

OK. I’m guessing that I’m probably one of those certain people. I’ll take a break. But I can’t change! Or rather won’t! xx

LOL! Thanks for making my afternoon. Cracked me up.

Here’s my two cents…this guy would have creeped me out too, and I’m a guy. Agree that the Air rep was totally inept. You don’t ever owe ANYONE an explanation for anything when it comes to inviting someone into your home. And, you certainly don’t need to lie. In fact in this example, the Air rep’s guidance just made things worse for you. Here’s how I handle red flag people:

Press DECLINE with the following: “Thank you so much for your interest. We are unable to accommodate you. Best of luck with your travels.”

Do nothing else after that. You don’t have to say why. You don’t have to make things up. Just ignore. This kind of person tends to be very socially needy and will go away fairly quickly once he learns he’s not getting any attention from you.

Although I have never had anyone continue to harass me after following this procedure, if I ever did I would just alert Air in writing to flag this person as someone they need to deal with.

7 Likes

LOL!!! It’s not you Magwitch!

2 Likes

And yes, it is a very interesting discussion on all elements mentioned.

On the social conditioning… You are very right ! One of the very first things I wrote about prejudice is that it has gotten influenced (I used the word tainted) by the media, ever since the media existed. The media and our quick ways of communication these days tend to amplify everything. I might have written it in the other topic where we started discussing about these things.

(:no_entry_sign: I see the sheriff has been in town again.)

Ohhh! lol well that is still annoying haha

As i mentioned in a previous post i had a guy book then after booking and alllllll the info given in multiple back and forth convos over airbnb want to " chat" with me off airbnb. " i want to get to know you better" ??? Why??? I was not only uncomfortable but i had no idea how to ignore him and explain i was very very busy until he arrived…ie i have a life… Once he got here he was a creep. Hands down creep. My partner told me to cancel. I thought i was “over thinking his creepiness”. You cant argue the female host perspective unless you have lived it. I have couch surf…for females only and not once has couch surf argued that. I offer that to women. Women travelling. Women needing a safe home for the night. Women only or women with kids needing a safe place short term. I have had respectful amazing men stay w me but that one example and his behaviour when i said my partner lives next door and we are going for dinner…and his inabilty to hide his weird creepy anger was enough to almost make me stop airbnb. Thankfully my partner lives next door. Thankfully it hasnt happened again. And as i stated my female guests have told me about thier experiences…and many say they will only stay w female hosts. Again unless you are female and have experienced this you have no idea what its like to sleep in your own home with a man who is following you around watching everything you do and waiting outside the bathroom when you shower. I know now i can cancel. I know now if air doesnt like my decision they can kick me out but i will never ever be made to feel like that again.

3 Likes

@Jules2538 I think, in a strange turn of events, you totally misunderstood me. Which is very understandable due to everything being written and the chaotic nature of this forum. I am actually totally with you on this. I don’t have to be female to fully understand and agree with you :wink:.
I was only standing up to the elements in this forum who are quiet inconsistent in their thinking, and don’t practice what they preach. This had nothing to do with you. Again, I totally understand if you don’t feel comfortable having men in your house. I will never judge you for this and you don’t even have to explain. I could only argue that you might be missing on income, but that is your choice and full right :relaxed:.

2 Likes

We ABB a room in a 3bdrm apartment where we are not in residence and our listing is for Men Only since the other two LTRs are college boys. The 2 boys share a bathroom that’s behind the kitchen which means they probably don’t dress to use it in the middle of the night, especially when they often don’t keep regular hours. It would have just been my luck to have a female guest in the kitchen when one of them paraded through in their skivvies. So even though that significantly narrows the market for us, it was just common sense. I also didn’t want my LTRs feeling awkward in their home, nor put them at risk if a female made a claim or police report against them. As the Host, that would create more problems than I even want to think about!

So, I fully understand and support single hosts wanting to host same sex guests when they rent rooms or share space.

1 Like

Thank you. Its not something i was ready for and too bad it happened. Its changed the way i book. Changed the way i communicate. However my last guest was an amazing guy. We had fun. He cooked. I cooked. We comunicated for several months prior to the ski season and it was totally great. He was respectful honest and kind. I do ñot ever paint all male guests with the same brush and he made me remember how fun it is to be a host! Was a blast. So the not so amazing guest is the past. Just needed to put my experience in here as it was real and it wasnt fun…but onward we go as hosts. Ive had a great winter season:)

2 Likes

You’re 100% right Jules, unless you’ve been through it yourself you have no idea what it’s like.