AirBnB Terms of Service Update 2017

Just received an email from AirBnB about new terms of service…

“Our community and vision for travel have grown significantly, so we’re updating our Terms of Service, Payments Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy (collectively, “Terms”). Also, we rewrote and restructured the Terms to make them shorter, more concise, and easier to read. The changes will go into effect for all existing users on August 25, 2017. When you use Airbnb on or after that day, we’ll ask you to agree to the new Terms.”

Does anyone know of a reference document that highlights what exactly is changing? A summary of changes with some commentary?

Have you looked at Airbnb Community Forums they might have something in the Updates forum

The email has two links that explain the changes.

Haven’t received the email yet.

If you read ALL of the message from AirBnb, it tells you where to find a document that shows what is changing.

I guess Hosts don’t read any more than Guests.

5 Likes

Because if I still have not yet received this email, with someone be willing to post those links? I read all the documents.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/terms-of-service-event

Thanks for posting the link. I, too, read all the messages and have not seen this yet.

So this is a cheat sheet, but not the new TOS. Has anyone seen the new TOS yet?

https://www.airbnb.com/terms

1.2 As the provider of the Airbnb Platform, Airbnb does not own, create, sell, resell, provide, control, manage, offer, deliver, or supply any Listings or Host Services. Hosts alone are responsible for their Listings and Host Services. When Members make or accept a booking, they are entering into a contract directly with each other. Airbnb is not and does not become a party to or other participant in any contractual relationship between Members, nor is Airbnb a real estate broker or insurer. Airbnb is not acting as an agent in any capacity for any Member, except as specified in the Payments Terms.

Is the TOS link in the “cheat sheet” not the new TOS? Sorry, I thought it was and this is all we got in the email.

Sorry… been a hard day and I missed that.

Of note:

4.5 You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your Airbnb Account credentials and may not disclose your credentials to any third party.

Doesn’t this mean all syncing or messaging applications?

1 Like

you may not request that the Guest pays a higher price than in the booking request.

No collecting tax upon arrival…

was this the email from Brian himself, I was thinking who the hell is Brian then I twigged, chat again soon he says !!!

The Brian email was a different one. This one has the subject terms and conditions…

It’s a long document. Are these two things actually in there? Collecting tax upon arrival has always been a method advocated by Airbnb. I don’t do that; instead, I state that the tax amount is included, and I name the percentage for my county and state. Then I have to figure out the proportions when I do my quarterly sales tax.

But not requesting a higher price makes no sense whatsoever. The higher price would be for that extra person as stated in a host’s rules, or other exceptions that make their stay more expensive. That’s what the special offers are supposed to be about.

This was a direct quote. I know that this has been the way it has been done in the past, but I think these statements indicate that the tax should now be included in your nightly rate.

To clarify. The first sentence is a direct quote; the second sentence is my response.

I see. I’m already doing it that way, but I know many people aren’t. It’ll be a big change.

In most countries it is normal to be quoted an inclusive price. Probably more a US thing.

1 Like

Good grief. If Airbnb finally got their act together, and started collecting local hotel taxes from guests, I would be glad not having to collect this on arrival.

Other than that, I think the most important thing about the AirBnB TOS Update 2017 is the fact that for some hosts, fees will now go up from 3% to 5%, following the successful trial done in Italy and San Francisco.