AirBnB Overrides Strict Cancellation Policy and Make Hosts Pay

Weebly is one of them.

I agree I made mine in 1-2 hours with Weebly

I had numerous reservations canceled by airbnb or by guests and airbnb have refunded them in full. How unfair to us hosts.
Either way when you guys mention your own site or bookings, how do we get some if any traffic to the site? In comparison with Airbnb there is nothing with as much traffic to generate bookings or am I wrong?

Mmm… Kind of. Let me put it in this way

Listing’s Exposure = Overall Website Traffic / Number of Listings

You are right by saying that Airbnb is the one that gets more traffic but is also the one that has more listings. The traffic you get to your listing will be decreasing while more hosts come into the game.

According to @jaquo, the solution (or a possible solution) is social media. I don’t have enough experience myself to how how well it works. But it’s certainly possible to promote ones own website. Think handing out cards with the website on it, for example.

There has been discussion about this on other threads here, but not systematically. See for example Do you advertise your Airbnb listing elsewhere? - Airbnb hosts forum. Do searches on the site, like “advertising on social media”, for example.

1 Like

i’m seriously considering pulling my listing from Airbnb. It was a few short weeks ago when Airbnb was preparing their public offering The CEO announced it had $5 billion in cash assets.

Like many others on the website I have a very strict cancellation policy. Airbnb did not give proper notification they changed my refund policy. I had a guest cancel the day they were to check in. Airbnb refunded them fully. We have all suffered damages. Now Airbnb is trying to throw us a bone 25% refund. I seriously doubt we will see any of this money. But in the meantime the luxe properties were not required to refund cancellation in full they enforced their luxe properties original refund policy.

There is a discordance in what Airbnb is doing. My belief is we should ban together and file a class action lawsuit against Airbnb.

They’re not the only OTA, many on here list with BDC and HA/VRBO.

To be frank, this subject has been done to death on here, use the search facility and you’ll find multiple topics, all saying the same as you.

Good luck with that. You signed away all rights for direct litigation when you agreed to their ToS. Again, use the search facility and you’ll find two or three topics relating to class action lawsuits.

JF

2 Likes

And I’ve said this before too but…the current environment might be the worst possible one in which to do something like “file suit.” The courts are going to be extremely backlogged. They are trying to navigate how to proceed with the new reality of social distancing. In the best of times class action suits take years, lawyers make millions and the hosts would get dollars if we could even win. Since it’s a pandemic the likes of which we have never seen, it’s hard to say how the case would go.

The final thing is that people come here to complain and ask “somebody to do something” but they want someone else to do it. I’m waiting for the person who arrives to say “I’ve filed suit. These are the attorneys, here’s where you send your information to become a member of the class, and so on.” Or for someone who says “Here’s the group I’ve formed, this is how much the dues are, here are the salaries for the administrators, etc.”

1 Like

No one received “proper notification” that our world was going to change, people we love would get sick and maybe die, jobs would be lost, businesses close and more.

This forum has many postings of “I have a strict cancellation policy”. Cancellations occurred because of Covid-19; not because the guest simply changed their mind about the trip or the reservation.

@JohnF Is correct, the Airbnb TOS gives them the authority to change the rules.

I didn’t like losing the bookings and the revenue but in this environment, allowing refunded cancellations was the right thing to do. Hopefully after we get through this crisis, we will not see another event like it.

2 Likes

You mean you don’t receive the AIRBNB Magazine as your reward like I do? First one they sent out was pretty nice. A carbon monoxide/ smoke detector.