Airbnb guests who help themselves to things

Is he German? I had this German guy a while back who walked around in his very tight undies like it was nothing. He was young and incredibly good looking with an almost cartoonish Superman physique. He looked like a blow-up sex doll come to life.

Britishā€¦which suprises me because theyā€™re usually pretty conservative. Heā€™s very well built to be sureā€¦i think thats what he wants everyone to know! Heā€™s also a personal trainer. Not good looking though and only the height of my grandmother.

1 Like

omg thatā€™s red flag is there ever was one.[quote=ā€œJen_Dentoom, post:22, topic:11019ā€]
only the height of my grandmother.
[/quote]

ā€¦another red flag. Short man complex.

Good idea on the door sign. Do you provide a tv in the room? That might keep guests from being nosy parkers, and from looking for a tv. If you already have one, shame on them.

It is very odd for them to wonder. WOuld you just wonder around someoneā€™s house without asking?

If I were renting a room in someoneā€™s house I most likely would wander around unless Iā€™d been told to stay in my room. I believe the OP said there is a door that blocks off the guest quarters so all that needs to be done is to put on lock on it if there isnā€™t one already.

so, you would just go to owners bedroom? You might as well i guess, because there is no way of knowing which room is their bedroom

I donā€™t mind if guests go in my bedroom.

i am sure of that, ELlen, you also like your guests to cook 24 hours a day on your kitchen

2 Likes

I think my new years resolution is to start being brutally honest in my airbnb reviews. Ive always been generous and kind in my reviews but why shouldnt guests feel like they have to be on their best behavior like we hosts doā€¦at the risk of being reviewed poorly.

1 Like

Well I just noticed one of my groups took a brand new set of hand soap and matching lotion pumpsā€¦ I have 3 bathrooms and when I noticed one set was missing I 2nd guessed myself. Thought perhaps I didnā€™t put it out. Well took inventory at home and now I fully recall I put a set in that bathroom and it is nowhere in the houseā€¦! yeeesh.

@J_Wang ā€“ ā€œā€¦I most likely would wander around unless Iā€™d been told to stay in my room.ā€

Stay in your room.

1 Like

Are you going to email them to see if they placed it somewhere? - maybe one of them is some kind of germaphobe about those objects - lol. Were these some unquie, cute dispensers?

No, silly. But also you have to remember, guests donā€™t know the layout of your home. Your bedroom door could be a closet or a bathroom if the door is closed.

It all goes back to what the host has made the guest aware of: restricted areas, rules, whatever. If thatā€™s not done, why would anyone expect guests youā€™ve invited into your home not to walk around inside the home?

1 Like

Exactly. Our house has five rooms. Itā€™s 950 square feet. We still have guests who are confused about which room is theirs. We put a sign saying Guest Room on the guest room door, but some people still get confused. I have the worst sense of direction ever so I understand.

That said, I really donā€™t mind if guests go in my bedroom. I donā€™t keep my tax returns in there.

Yep this is it exactly. I had a host check me in and only showed me my room. I was left wondering where the bathroom and the loo were. I went and found the host as I didnā€™t want to inadvertently be nosy but my question was met with a cold stare as if I was dumb. Fact was I didnā€™t know the layout and it was either ask or start opening doors.

1 Like

Who would guess that you would need to put in house rules not to wander around house unless properly dressed. Iā€™d have advised him that he needs to wear a shirt and trousers or shorts at all times out of his bedroom.

1 Like

Not all of us. But itā€™s funny how people sometimes think that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

WHat host does not show a guest where the bathroom is? How is it possible to not remember that the bathroom is on the same flloor, not downstairs? I understand that its possible to be a bit confused if its a big house but not to the point that you dont remember which floor.
You are trying to find excuses for these 'wonderers ā€™ and for yourself but the fact is that its very rude to wonder around someoneā€™s house without permission. If you want to wonder, ask your host to show you around. I was asked several times and had no problem with it. And once i had a guest who despite the fact that his bedroom was on a first floor , went upstairs opening doors to bedrooms including mine with me laying there in bed. He did not lost his way, he was just curious and another wonderer.

2 Likes

Not making excuses, and every situation is different. However, you canā€™t expect guests to know your house layout if you donā€™t make them aware of it, especially if youā€™re cohabitating.