Airbnb gift - anyone else?

Chiming in (very) late to the party.

Two years ago, I received a cute Airbnb coffee mug with a lovely note - I think that was because (unbeknownst to me at the time) a teenager had booked (for two people) another property I was managing, then when I sent a confirmation message, I received an email from her father, who said there would be (can’t remember exactly now) either 4 or 5 guests (the listing clearly stated a maximum of 2). So I called Airbnb, they cancelled it and I didn’t want any $ for it. So awhile later they sent the gift to me.

Recently, I was asked to speak (as an Airbnb Super Host) at a City Council Meeting (to the Mayor and City Councillors) about a housing report that they did (we’re waiting on legislation for Airbnb hosts and laws around this). About a month or so later I came home to a big box at my front door. I opened it and in it there was a lovely note, a great tote bag (with 4 different straps) which I use almost daily, a cute key chain, a guest book and a luggage tag. Of course they all have the Airbnb logo on them, but I use the bag proudly - REPRESENT! :grin:

A few weeks after that, I received a personal note from Chris Lahane and his business card (never know when that might come in handy), thanking me for making my voice heard at the Council Meeting. I was also quoted in the newspaper for what I’d said at the meeting. This all made me feel very appreciated.

Also? I’d work for Airbnb in a heartbeat. They treat their staff very well. If you’re ever lucky enough to go to their offices, they have great snacks, drinks, teas - basically I call it the “If your Mom was rich and had money to buy you the best snacks” kitchen. Would love to see the one in San Fran, apparently the staff have a great cafeteria, where EVERYTHING. IS. FREE. This kind of stuff restores my faith in humanity.

1 Like

Umm, don’t you mean “EVERYTHING is paid for by our host fees and our guests’ fees.” Not that there’s anything wrong with that; it’s a business, and we as hosts are invested in its success – hosts are probably the best lobbyists Airbnb has!

1 Like

Yes, everything is paid for by our host and guest fees - however, I still don’t see many other similar businesses being as conscientious. :smiley:

And yes, as hosts, of course we’re invested in its success - I agree re" lobbyists - I actually cried when hearing many other hosts speak at the city council meeting. It was lovely to know that I’m not alone in hosting with the mindset of helping people feel welcomed to the city and my home while being able to make some money.

I still feel fortunate to be a part of this all!

That was nice of him, but I don’t think this is real KONA coffee. They are not allowed to use those words if it isn’t. So the label says, milled, roasted and packed… but not GROWN… This means they imported green coffee beans from somewhere else in the world and processed it there. At least on their label they are being honest! But long story short, when you drink it, don’t judge us. Because that’s not actually Kona coffee.

@konacoconutz. I am pretty coffee savvy and indeed, it was a small bag of real Kona coffee. Why would you presume otherwise?

Because the label says “Hawaiian” coffee. It’s not 100% KONA if it’s labeled like this. There is actually a real difference. And it’s been the bane of farmers who actually grow and sell KONA coffee to have farms imply their product is Kona coffee, when it really isn’t.

In this article, they discuss those companies labeling blends. Your company is at least honest in their label when they say it’s not KONA but HAWAIIAN coffee. That could mean anything.

It was nice of him to bring you a gift, to be certain. But I wish he had brought you real KONA COFFEE. Don’t get mad at me for pointing out a fact.

1 Like

Yep, it’s gotta say 100% Kona coffee. I received a small (1.5 oz) jar of 100% Kona Coffee Freeze-Dried Instant Gourmet Roast. The price label was left on (sigh) and it was $15.00. I’ve received whole beans and ground before (the bags are small and pricey - about $25) but it was the first time I had the freeze-dried granules. The stuff is like gold.

I love it.

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter since I gave it away. My friend with a coffee plantation in Kona sent me some roasted beans from his last harvest. That is what I pull out when I want something special.

If anyone would like the name of the estate grown (means all grown, processed and packaged at the same farm, no beans from outside, so the quality control is impeccable) Kona coffee that I recommend, please PM for the name. This is the same estate grown coffee I recommend to my guests. They do mail order and are about five miles from me.

And my friend’s Kona plantation is for sale. Bad health is forcing him to leave his dream life. PM me if you are interested in buying.

Okay, it doesn’t really matter then.

But I will continue to defend real KONA coffee, and those who grow and produce it, because it DOES matter here. It does matter that farms are selling or implying their product is Kona coffee when it isn’t, and charge unknowing people Kona coffee prices for coffee that isn’t Kona. That is a rip off to those who ARE doing the really difficult and challenging work of growing, processing and packaging the real thing.

2 Likes

In January of 2016 I was brought to LA by DogVacay as part of a Host Council. There were 6 of us there to advise DogVacay on how to make DV better. They flew us in, housed us in a nice hotel by the airport, chauferred us to and from the HQ for the 3 days we were there. The HQ was so nice. Employees were allowed to bring dogs to work, the snacks were fantastic. At the end of the work day there was beer and wine. They gave each of us 100s of dollars worth of swag to take home. They used to send gifts to Top Hosts and I got flowers from them twice. It was great! A little over a year later they were bought out by Rover, a competing company, in an all stock deal. DV never made a profit and I wonder if Rover will either.

1 Like

That’s very cool! I love events like that!!!

1 Like