Air Suspended us for being 4 Stars!

Ridiculous! If that’s how it going to be, then there should just be a thumbs up or thumbs down! What point is there to a five star scale if four stars is poor enough to get suspended?

That’s like:
A = A
B = FAIL
C = FAIL
…and so on…

Oh, Airbnb, just who do you have making your decisions for you?

Does anyone else get the idea they’re going to go after managing hotel reservations with their awesome “platform?” I surely do.

Can’t beat 'em, join 'em…

1 Like

He looks much scarier in person, seriously.

2 Likes

@Martha She’s right, you should absolutely call them, get an email addy from one of them, and send them the link to that place!

You got to be kidding, looks totally frightening as it is.

@Natalie “Ridiculous! If that’s how it going to be, …” It is not how is going to be.

I stayed in an Airbnb is Europe this summer that was 4 stars. First, I want to say that this is not an appraisal on your place. I just want to let you know that Airbnb is completely fickle and, yes, there are ways to get around being suspended. We fled this Airbnb place as it was not as advertised (twice as far from town as listed, nothing worked, the “free wifi” was actually not available (our host told us to go to town and buy an sms card but wouldn’t even tell us where to buy it), it was dirty, and had broken windows, broken tiles, the shower didn’t work (we had to take baths), horribly uncomfortable bed, and the host was so friggin’ mean! After getting nowhere with the host, we called Airbnb who moved us to a new place a town away (where we were so happy that we extended our stay). Of course, since we “cancelled” our reservation, I could not leave a review. But this host cost us two days of our once-in-a-life-time vacation (I can’t afford a trip like this again for years) and I was left sobbing in a restaurant in town trying to send photos to Airbnb before they would move us (it took calling several times before I could get a competent customer service rep to load the correct page). Since then, I have been monitoring this host’s listing. One thing I learned – if the listing’s calendar shows constant bookings but the reviews are few and far between, you can guess that guests have bolted and couldn’t leave a review (huge flaw!). Finally, another review – which was scathing and brought her down to 3.5 stars. I checked again tonight and her place is RELISTED with NO REVIEWS! I reported the listing to Airbnb. Just goes to show that no one at Airbnb is monitoring this type of fraud. I just hope they do something as I really don’t want anyone to have the same horrible experience we had. As far as your listing – be as transparent as possible. Better to undersell then oversell so that guests are pleasantly surprised. I am a five-star “super host”, for whatever that is worth, but I am lucky to have an awesome location. Mostly, my guests say that it is way better than they expected. Best of luck to you!

6 Likes

I completely sympathize with your frustration. However, deleting, then re-listing a place later is common practice (even I have done it) and does not constitute fraud, or a violation of airbnb rules.

O wow, thats really bad experience. I had the same in San Francisco. I booked one house for 5 people, my husband, and i , my parents, and my daughter for her graduation.
When we arrived, it was just horrid. 250$ a night, it was appartment on a third floor, beds were tiny, rooms dirty, walls are all scratched up, bathrooms dirty. The manager was an old chinese lady who did not speak any English or may be just a little but noone could understand her. She was actually very nice about this whole thing and agreed to refund us 100%.Her reviews were 4* but she only had 3 of them.
We think there were fake those reviews. Noone in their right mind can call the house clean and comfortable, and as described.
Here we are sitting in some coffee shop waiting for Airbnb reply. It was busy Memorial day weekend, and they were afwully busy, we had lots of coffee that day. finally AIr came back and said, thats fine, your reservation is cancelled free of penalties and on top of that for your pain and suffering we give you 200$ to pay for a hotel.
So, i by miracle found this really cute hotel the last minute 2 rooms for 170$ a night, and we finally settled in.
Now after this experience i am not booking anyone with less that 10 reviews.

2 Likes

hypertokyo – I, obviously, have no idea of your situation but what is the point of the review system if Airbnb lets a host relist without the previous reviews? This European host has the exact same listing with the same lies (again – twice as far from the bay as she listed, says it has parking, when it has none but street parking, which is always taken, and she uses the “house manual” for the “house rules” – you can’t see the house manual until AFTER you book). She is a fraud and so very mean! I just can’t understand why Airbnb would continue to let her list and ruin other people’s vacations. It’s hosts like this that ruin it for the rest of us who really work hard to give our guests an amazing experience. Such a huge flaw in their rating system!

2 Likes

If you tracked her down did you let Airbnb know?

Wow, @brook2adks. You’ve met this person? I took a look at the listing, and my first reaction was - I would definitely not rent from this guy. And I can’t imagine why anyone would. But I don’t know how long that photo has been up there for.

On the other hand, the photos of the listing itself looked Ok. Not great, but adequate. But am I missing something? Feel free to educate me.

1 Like

Hi @sandy2,

Sorry about your bad experience. It’s people like this that give “alternative” systems like Airbnb a bad name. Did the terrible Airbnb host you mention have reviews? And if so, how many and how were they? Just curious. Thanks.

SHe said, there were 4* reviews

Yes, so she did. In the first line. But I’m interested to know what the reviews actually said. Were they good, bad or indifferent? Because one problem with the Airbnb rating system is that Airbnb does not provide a standard for how to use it. Or, to put it differently, it does not say that 4 stars should be interpreted as meaning such and such. If they did, it wouldn’t completely solve the problem, but it would help.

2 Likes

Every review (I think there are 8) (We have only been hosting 6 weeks!) Was very complimentary. They loved the house, they loved the location, they enjoyed meeting us, We were thoughtful in providing wine, coffee, restaurant recs. The location was wonderful. But we have had a sweltering summer and there is no central air. So most 6 I think said the house was too warm.

1 Like

I didn’t get too close. I just put all my Brooklyn bravado into full force and went there as if I belonged there. I did not talk to him, I saw him, and a few other derelict punks like him.
The whole place looked is an eyesore on this community (it’s a 20 minute drive from me), and I would not be at all surprised if the police are not watching that place for drug activity.
I did not go in any of the rooms because I was not in the mood to possibly get bedbugs or ruin my shoes with god only knows what is on those carpets.
I think they may have one or two rooms that have been painted and cleaned up enough to take photos. But the overall impression is based first on the sign, which is the sorriest spray can painted thing ever, It’s just an old sign from somewhere, that they painted white to cover up whatever it said, then they added wooden letters, which they then spray painted gold, not bothering to spray paint prior to attaching to the sign, so the gold spray paint is also on the sign.
The landscaping…there is none, some overgrown patches of weeds and other places where there is just dirt.
There is litter in the parking lot and up against the building.

I do know that guests can send a PM at the end saying anything about the host discretely. Maybe the complaints were numerous through this channel to ABB that they decided on this course of action.

That just doesn’t equate to a suspension of your account!

Hi @brook2adks,

Thanks, that’s very interesting. I think it’s important to bear in mind that pictures can also lie - selective photo taking is no doubt an art practiced by those intending to deceive. One should be wary.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear this! I think some guests have some seriously high (and sometimes unrealistic) expectations. We got an email from airbnb letting us know that only 56% of our guests for the month of July gave us 5* reviews for our basement apartment which holds a 5* rating and we’re superhosts. We didn’t do anything differently and while reading the reviews no one had anything bad to say or critical. I think airbnb needs to let guests know that anything less than a perfect 5* rating will eventually hurt you as a host. It’s ridiculous, because 4* in my opinion should still be good. They should really focus on the 2* and 3* listings and leave everything 4* and above alone. Obviously, you’re still booking your room out, making airbnb money. SMH!

1 Like

That was my thought too. Maybe several used “message to Air” to complain about the AC?