Advice needed: parent does not watch over kids

Needs more dragons! At least 20

1 Like

Hey guys! I did not disappear, I just didn’t have time to check the forum these days. :slight_smile: So, things seem to be ok with my guest. It seems to me that my message and my serious offer to refund her if she doesn’t start supervising her children did give some results. I’m still not at home, but my parents say that the kids are not going to the neighbours’ garden and do not make attempts to cause damage. They are still far from being angels, but as I said, as an Airbnb host I really learned how to choose my battles and do not expect much from guests, besides not falling below the certain line of decent behaviour. :smiley:

Plus, we’re currently not having other guests so they’re not bothering anyone. The lady kind of apologized to my mom and again repeated her lament about being alone with 2 kids. To me she replied after a week, apologizing for not replying sooner and saying they are having a wonderful time at my place.

She didn’t really refer to the content of my message, but I didn’t expect that because I think it made her feel ashamed.

I really hope there will be no negative surprises. They are staying for 2 more weeks. I’ll keep you guys posted.

In any case, what I learned from this is that one really should’t hesitate to clearly state the rules to guests and offer them a refund in the case they misbehave. If they weren’t staying for a month, I probably wouldn’t have the strenght and nerves to discuss this with them, but I’m really glad that I did. Sometimes you just have to show people that you mean business. Although I know most of you think I was way too lenient and patient. :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for coming back to give us an update!

Thanks @Inna for the update. Great to hear it’s working out :slight_smile: You are so right about the importance of dealing with problems straightaway, particularly when it’s a lengthy stay. I found it difficult to do at first but soon learned that things will only get much much worse if you don’t steel your nerves and tackle it! By the tone of your posts, I’m sure you did a great job in dealing with this guest - fair, firm and polite without being confrontational - and it seems to have worked as she said sorry, instead of being defensive. Here’s hoping you only need to update with ‘everything is fine and she left a great review’!

2 Likes