2 guests on the booking, 3 people to review?

I’ve had this occur many times. The booking says 2 guests, for example, and the reviews page indicates a group of 3 or more stayed in the apartment. This is probably triggered by Airbnb asking for additional guest info after payment. So basically Airbnb knows the guest who does the booking is indicating less guests at first (and not getting charged for extra guests) and after they pay they’re sharing the reservation with more guests or somehow indicating there are more guests staying… Why isn’t Airbnb flagging this and asking the guests to pay for the extra people? Or how come there’s a discrepancy? It’s not fair that hosts are reviewed by extra guests who have not even paid the extra guest fees. Or am I missing something in my math and how I look at this?

I don’t know of anything in the system that allows a guest to add additional guest information without the host having to accept a change.

I’ve been both a guest and a host and an mmm familiar with both sides of the website.

This is also an unusual glitch. I assume you’re not checking your guests in as you don’t appear sure about who is staying at your listing.

@Zandra correct, I have self-check-in so I’m not always there to see who’s coming in. But sometimes I am and do see less people coming than the number of guests listed in the requests for a group review. When I’ve booked Airbnb stays as a guest, there is a question (after paying I think) asking for the email addresses and maybe names too, of those staying with you.

It does ask that so the guest can get confirmation if they want; I don’t remember you being able to enter more details than the amount of guests booked for.

@Zandra so in that ask for sending the extra guests a confirmation, I think they can enter more email addresses/names and that’s where the group info is pulled from… or I’m not sure where or how else this would occur. But it’s not just once or twice that I’ve seen it.

Once you have entered your payment details, Airbnb invites you to share your booking details with other people in your group by entering their email addresses. If they have an Airbnb account linked to this address, these guests will be able to communicate with the host (I have received several times questions from “other” guests).

I also had several times less people show up than registered​ on the booking, simply because people had an argument, couples split or one person could not make it due to his/her work.

When you’re a guest, the “share itinerary” feature seems to list up to 5 spaces for other emails – those 5 spaces have no correlation to the number of people booked, or the maximum number of guests allowed in a unit. (I have 2 units booked for this summer – one allows a max of 6 guests, the other allows 5 max, and we booked as 5 guests and 4 guests respectively. The fields don’t seem to change…)